Comprehensive Health Education is required instruction per Florida Statute 1003.42. The curriculum includes 14 components of health that are age and developmentally appropriate. Human growth and development, including puberty and sexual health education, are an integral part of these components.
Comprehensive Health Components
Human Growth and Development Component
- Grade 4: Puberty
- Grade 5: Puberty and an Introduction to the Reproductive System
- Grade 6: Adolescent Development
- Grade 7–8: Human Reproduction
- Grade 9–12: Sexual Development and Reproduction, Abstinence, STIs (Including AIDS/HIV)
Flagler Schools acknowledges that parents/guardians are the primary sexuality educators for their child(ren), and we are committed to partnering with you to provide supplementary resources to support you in this role.
Parents may review any of the materials being used for these lessons. To make an appointment to review the content or review any resources that have subscription restrictions, please contact the Flagler Schools Teaching and Learning Department.
Parents/guardians have the right to opt their child out of any portion of the school district’s comprehensive health education required under 1003.42(2)(n) that relates to sex education instruction in acquired immune deficiency syndrome education or any instruction regarding sexuality. All schools will send a paper copy of the opt-out form home with students approximately three weeks before the lessons are scheduled to be completed. The school will highlight the grade appropriate portion of the form and the deadline for the return of the form.
Options for Submitting an Opt-Out Form
- Sign the paper copy of the health education opt-out form sent home and return it to your child’s school.
- Print and sign the printable opt-out form and return it to your child’s school.
- Complete and submit the Digital Opt-Out Form.
Reproductive Health Webinar
A Webinar was held on July 25, 2022 to allow public review of the Comprehensive Health Education component of Reproductive Health and Disease Instruction for Grades 4–12. An overview of resources was provided, as well as instructions for opting out.
Reproductive Health and Disease Instruction Presentation